Saturday, November 6, 2010

Listen to Callithumpian Consort if you can

It is a Boston based musical troupe led by Steve Drury, from whom I took music lessons in college.  Tonight they had a concert at Paine Hall featuring six young compoers: Trevor Baca, Josiah Oberholtzer, Ian Power, Sivan Cohen-Elias, Sabrina Schroeder and Anne Cleare.

The players themselves, Jessi Rosinski, Rane Moore, Jeff Means, Gabriela Diaz, and Ben Schwartz, were lively, giving the audience an excellent sense of pulse in thorny pieces.  The playing was very tight, which is particularly impressive given how difficult much of the music was to play.  Jessi and Rane got sounds out of their instruments that I had never heard before, particularly in the Cleare piece.

I particularly like the Cohen-Elias piece, called Air Pressure.  It reminded me a bit of Berio (from me this is a compliment).

Evenings like this also explain that while I have been trying to turn my back on Harvard because of its various misdeeds, I don't think I will ever be able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment